I AM AFRICAN

I AM AFRICAN

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Documentary Film - A Small Act

As I have mentioned before, I watch a lot of television.  Good and bad!  It's been a while since I have seen anything that made an impression on me until I accidentally stumbled upon a documentary on HBO "A Small Act".  I love HBO's programming but I almost passed on this one.  However, something piqued my attention - it was featuring a Kenyan *go figure!*. Once I started watching, I was completely captivated and couldn't look away!

To say I was moved, would be a huge understatement!  Tears aside {and I cried plenty}, this documentary actually inspired me to make a difference in someone's life! While there were familiar undertones to the story line, the thought that a small gesture can make a difference that is beyond measure made an impact on me!

Gladly, I found out through Facebook, that the documentary has quite a following.   This documentary is a MUST watch!  I hope that it will move you to make a difference like it did me. Spread the word!  You owe to that to the world:) The story is below.








Synopsis: A SMALL ACT is a documentary film which tells an incredible story of hope and redemption. It inspires us to reach beyond the limits of possibility and awakens us to the effect one person can have upon the world. Filmed in the sleepy town of Västerås, Sweden, the bustling city of Geneva, Switzerland and the lush landscape of Kenya's central highlands, A SMALL ACT takes you on the journey of a lifetime.

THE STORY
When Hilde Back sponsored a young, impoverished Kenyan student, she thought nothing of it. She paid roughly $15 dollars per term to keep him in primary school.


She certainly never expected to hear from him, but many years later, she does.

Chris Mburu has been thinking of his “angel” Hilde since he was a boy. The small contribution she made paid off – Chris went all the way to Harvard. Now, he’s a respected UN human rights lawyer, dedicating his life to battling genocide and crimes against humanity.

Chris decides to replicate Hilde’s generosity by starting his own scholarship fund, and he names it after her. This scholarship will educate bright kids in his village so they can also succeed and give back.

But Chris is stunned when Kenya’s public schools start failing, and only two new students qualify for sponsorship. Simultaneously, Kenya falls into ethnic-based election violence. After working on conflicts in neighboring countries, Chris knows that ignorance fuels ethnic hatred. Education has never been more important. Chris must decide what to do.





No comments: